Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Merry Christmas...it's been a while

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Merry Christmas...it's been a while

    Life got busy....but I never forgot how much help I received from this forum.
    Hope everyone is doing well and building big speakers!

    Probably the only think I never shared with the system I built(with lots of help from here)...were the final addition...super-tweeters!
    I had some cheap ribbons...but I wanted an all horn system so I saved my pennies and waited until I could add the Fostex tweeters.

    I don't really have the acoustics in my house here in Alabama that I had in Indiana...that was a dam near perfect room for audio,
    but the next home will be designed around the stereo.

    Here's a link with the tweeters in place:
    http://www.superbadcat.com/images/stereo/stereo_01.jpg

    Merry Christmas to all and thanks for keeping the Altec tradition ALIVE !

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    Merry Christmas...it's been a while


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Merry Christmas...it's been a while

    Thanks Steve for stopping by to say Hello and Merry Christmas ! Hope you and yours have a great Holiday season !

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Merry Christmas...it's been a while

    Merry Christmas...it's been a while ,applies to me also. I look in here time to time and hope everyone is well. Don't have much more to contribute. My 9846's are still cranking after being rebuilt in 2004 with help from here. They got a workout playing all day today with traditional Christmas music like "Kings Collage" with the deep organ passages that shake the house. They never fail to impress. I wish all a happy new year and continue this great board. Thanks, Art

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2011
    Posts
    368
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Merry Christmas...it's been a while

    Happy holidays to ALL!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Merry Christmas...it's been a while

    Merry Christmas !

    Steve, here are some of your pics ( direct link ) .
    8

    9

    And a link to your, "superbadcat" web presence .



    PS : I don't know what's up with all these ( unwarranted ) "redirects", now happening here at Hostboard .

  6. #6
    HB Super Moderator
    Merry Christmas...it's been a while


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Merry Christmas...it's been a while

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post

    PS : I don't know what's up with all these ( unwarranted ) "redirects", now happening here at Hostboard .

    I'm already on it Earl.. Steven is looking into it now..They just did some more software updates and you know and I know with updates sometimes comes unseen issues.And these re-directs are one of them.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Merry Christmas...it's been a while

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Yeah Steve save your pennies is right ! The T500AMKII which those look like are $1034 each...
    Holy cow...I think they were 900 apiece when I bought them...so I feel better? Maybe not....they were quite the dent.
    ...but finally I found something that could keep up with the rest of the system...and after all of the work that was done I just had to try to finish it right.

    - - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Altec Best; December 26th, 2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Fixed the Qoute tags

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Merry Christmas...it's been a while

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Happy Holidaze and all that jive!

    I know all about ?life? getting busy! It?s been going on 15 yrs since my Altec system got zapped and still just huge dust collectors despite the help of various generous folks both here and on other forums.

    Oh well, where there?s life, there?s hope, so one more time......'maybe next year'???.

    Those are really ?sweet? sounding [super] tweeters to my well abused hears! Way back when, me and a couple of local Altec centric folks experimented with 802s coupled to short super tweeter horns to good effect, but didn?t have any quality consumer units to compare to. I?m guessing though that they would be a distant second to an appropriately sized one for the BW such as the Fostex.

    GM

    - - - Updated - - -
    The one element that vexed me was understanding how to design the sealed chamber for the mid bass horns...I did my internet research...looked through a couple hundred of your posts...realized you had an innate understanding of the physics of what was going on inside and outside....and then I asked for help...and I got more than I bargained for.

    So, again thanks for the lesson in theory...it was deeply appreciated.

    But, it sure is sad that someone with all this acoustic theory doesn't have his own sound lab working on some boss audio projects. I wish you success in getting your system re-constructed. I realized after my Dad passed away that I was the inheritor of all he had experimented with and learned about audio. And I'm grateful for the inspiration to continue the tradition. That's what I appreciated in this forum as well...a lot of gear heads trying to keep the search for good audio going.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Earl...it was nice of you to straighten out the image issue...
    I'm not sure what is going on...but it didn't do that 5 years ago! ☺️

  9. #9
    HB Super Moderator
    Merry Christmas...it's been a while


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Merry Christmas...it's been a while

    Yeah Steve save your pennies is right ! The T500AMKII which those look like are $1034 each...

    t500amk2original

    1original

  10. #10
    HB Super Moderator
    Merry Christmas...it's been a while


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Merry Christmas...it's been a while

    What are your impressions of those Fostex tweeters ? I never heard them before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.